The Brazilian Butt Lift procedure, also known as butt augmentation, or “BBL surgery", is a surgical procedure which aims to enhance the size of the buttocks to achieve an enhanced and voluptuous appearance. Within this article, we will touch upon the commonly asked questions for a butt lift, the benefits of this procedure, ideal candidates for this surgery, best plastic surgeons specializing in BBL, the Brazilian Butt Lift cost and so much more about this highly popular procedure!
What is a Brazilian Butt Lift?
The Brazilian Butt Lift is a surgical procedure which aims to:
- Enhance and augment the buttocks
- Modify the shape and size of the buttocks
- Create a more attractive, youthful and proportionate figure through liposuction
This procedure involves fat elimination through liposuction from several areas of the body such as the hips, abdomen, back and thighs. During the liposuction procedure, Dr. William Rahal will make minimal incisions and extract only the smallest fat particles using a small tool called a cannula. We have found that the most effective fat grafts are made using smaller fat particles. During this same step, Dr. Rahal begins the contour process to create the desired figure.
After the liposuction, the fat cells are processed and purified through centrifugation (intensified spinning). The best and most pure fat cells are separated and used for re-injection into the buttocks. It is common for only ¼ of the fat cells to be utilized for re-injection. Most doctors like to perform liposuction on at least two or three major areas in order to collect enough fat.
The fat is then re-injected at different depths and areas in order to ensure the best possible results.
How much fat can be transferred to the buttocks?
Determining the amount of fat which will be transferred to the buttocks during a BBL is based on several factors:
- The amount of fat available to graft with liposuction – Patients with curvier shapes generally have more fat available while patients with thin or athletic bodies may not have sufficient fat to harvest during liposuction.
- The patient’s anatomy – It’s easier to reach satisfactory results on patients that have an A-shaped buttock than on patients with a V-shaped buttock, which usually require more fat transfer. Each person’s bottom can only receive some specific amount of fat. Typically, the surgeon will transfer a generous amount of fat during surgery since not all the fat transplanted will survive.
- Skin elasticity also plays a vital role as it will affect how much the buttock skin can be expanded. The appearance of scars and cellulite can also improve when filled with fat.
- Lastly, the patients’ preference matters. Some patients prefer a curvier and rounder shape while others like a more athletic shape. These are things you can discuss with your surgeon during your initial consultation. You can bring photos of butt shapes you like and ask your surgeon whether it can be accomplished.
In a nut shell, the amount of fat that can be transferred is based on the amount of fat available for harvesting and the flexibility of the recipient site to accommodate it. Typically, surgeons can inject anywhere from 300 cc to 1800 cc per side depending on the shape the patient desires and the results of the physical examination prior to surgery.
BMI requirements for BBL Surgery
The BMI is not the most important factor to consider but rather the availability of fat and quality of the patient’s skin. Dr. Rahal has performed BBLs with patients with BMIs in the high 30s. It is ok to have this procedure before a weight loss routine.
Ideal candidates for Brazilian Butt Lift Surgery
The ideal candidate for the BBL surgery are individuals who wish to enhance the size of their buttocks, but have a significant amount of fat in covering different areas of their body such as the abdomen, waist, hips, and lower back. Dr. Rahal, a board certified plastic surgeon in Beverly Hills expands on factors an ideal candidate must have for the fat transfer procedure by stating:
“During the consultation, I explain to my patients that 75% of the procedure consists of the reshaping of the buttocks, and only about 25% of the procedure is actually about making it bigger. Reshaping is really where the art of the procedure lies in that the surgeon takes into account what the patient is starting with. From there he really tries to understand the goal that they are striving for, whether it is a very round look or a more athletic appearance."
It is also important that the patient be in good health standing and have realistic goals and expectations from the procedure. Patients will have to dedicate a few weeks for the recovery period after the procedure is complete. They must be willing to understand that not every patient will have the same butt augmentation result. Therefore, it is important to compare before and after photos of BBL procedures with fat transfer only if the patients has a similar body type.
Recovery from BBL Surgery
After the procedure, patients are taken to the recovery room for a few hours and then released from the facility. Patients must come with a friend or family member in order to be driven home and cared for at all times during the first three days after surgery.
Bruising and swelling are expected and normal for the first six week after a BBL surgery. Wearing all compression garments given is absolutely necessary. These garments help lower the risk of fluid buildup and reduce swelling. They must be worn 24 hours a day, 7 days a week until the doctor advises.
Sitting down must be avoided for at least two to three weeks after the procedure. Sitting can cause the fat cells to move and become deformed. Therefore, it is important to treat this area with extra care. If sitting is necessary, patients should only sit on an extremely soft and cushioned pillow.
Some patients are given drainage tubes if the surgeon believes he/she may be at risk for fluid buildup after the procedure. It is essential to go to all follow up appointments to make sure the healing process is smooth and there is no fluid buildup.
Finding the right BBL Surgeon
Dr. Rahal is considered one of the best BBL surgeons in Beverly Hills, CA. He is the innovator of 360 Liposuction which enhances the Brazilian Butt Lift even greater. Patients looking to have BBL surgery done, should always meet with multiple plastic surgeons and get as much information as possible before undergoing the procedure as one would with any type of surgery. Here are some quick things to look for in choosing a BBL Surgeon. You can find more detailed information Dr. Rahal and his experience in BBL surgery here.
- Ask to see before & after photos of past BBL surgeries
- Read all the reviews you can find online about the surgeon
- Lookup the Doctor's medical license and look for any disciplinary actions
- Ask them how many Brazilian Butt Lift Procedures they've performed
- Take notice of your feelings and first impressions of the office, staff, and surgeon
How much does a Brazilian Butt Lift cost?
Please contact the office for pricing information. An accurate estimate can only be given after a consultation.
Dr. Rahal understands that paying for the procedure may not be a possible option for many of his patients. This is why we offer a variety financing plans through systems such as Care Credit in which the patient would need to be pre-approved. Please visit our financing options page to learn more about our payment plans.